Search Engine Optimization (SEO) helps Google find and properly index pages on your website,
and show your website in search results more, if the content of the website are relevant to users intents.
Regular website SEO audit keeps the high SEO rank (positions in search results) and get
more organic traffic for your website.
SEO Best Practices 2020
SEO best practices:
- Create the best high quality content for your users. Attract and retain users for more than
5 minutes. The content should make user interact with the webpage: click elements,
download files, scroll the page down
- Do website SEO audit on a regular basis, at least once a month
(because your competitors are never sleep)
- Identify the right user intent to visit your web page. The right intent helps you find the right
keywords for your SEO strategy, and even can illuminate the ideas for new products!
- Add more long-tail keywords to your SEO text optimization, focus on the right user intent, write texts,
which answer the right question.
- Use our SEO Checklist to focus on most critical SEO improvements
Technical Website SEO Checklist
Technical SEO is very important, because mistakes in technical SEO can simply ruin the whole mission.
Don't worry, there a lot of useful SEO tools which makes it easier.
Here are the list of most important things you should remember:
- Make sure the website has HTTPS version. Configure redirect from HTTP version to HTTPS version of the website
- Add your website to Google Search Console, and make sure Google can index web pages on your website (checkout robots.txt)
- Add Google Analitics widget to your pages
- Create sitemap and add it to Google Search Console. Make sure all important pages are presented in sitemap
- Check page loading speed and improve the performance of your webpages as much as possible.
It is not acceptable to load the page for more than 4 seconds for website in 2020
- Make sure your website has mobile version and it works fine. Check it out with
Mobile Friendly tool.
- Use Broken Links Checker to check your website for broken backlinks
- Remove all cyclic redirects (several redirects in a raw) and do not use 302 redirect by default. We recommend to use 301 (permanent) redirects for old non-relevant backlinks.
- Check images on your website. All images should be optimized and have Title and ALT tags.
We prefer to use optimize-images tool for images optimization.
- Use Cache Checker tool to make sure your website uses browser
caching to cache JS, CSS resources and images as well
- Make sure you don't have duplicated content on different pages, use "canonical" tags in case you need
several pages with the same content
- Get more backlinks from the relevant websites. If some authorized website refers to your website,
Google realizes that your website has some important and relevant information about the topic.
- Use Advertising to find the right users for your website and get more traffic, even if it costs some money.
The advertising is the easiest way to get relevant organic traffic, and the amount of traffic
is one of the important metric for SEO
- Do not use more than 100 outgoing links of every web page. Every new link decreases the "weight" of
all other links on the same page. Make internal links from all pages to the most important page on
your website. Use Page Checker to find and fix all broken links on your page
Keywords SEO Optimization Checklist
It is always not easy to find the right words, but the right words can do magic! Here are some tips that help you write SEO optimized texts:
- Find the right user intent to open your webpage
- Add Title and Description meta tags to your webpage, and use the right keywords in Title and Description
to help Google understand what your page is about. Use unique Titles for every page, start Title with the most relevant keyword
- Add your best keywords into the URL of the page, use "-" symbol to split the words, for example:
https://www.iwebtool.com/seo-tools. Use short, simple and descriptive URLs
- Find long-tail keywords and search phrases and add these keywords and phrases
to the page content (better to add them several times). Find out
How to Choose the Right Long-Tail Keywords.
- Use Meta Tags Extractor to compare your meta data with metadata of your competitors,
and make sure you have better texts with the right keywords
- Checkout the length of competitor's content. Make sure you have enough text on the page,
with H1-H3 tags, use numerated lists, use images and short video
files from youtube (this is optional)
- Make sure that all relevant keywords mentioned several times on the page.
Of course, the text should still be correct and relevant. The golden rule: high quality content
is more important, than keywords presence in text
- Use short sentences and paragraphs. It makes your content more readable for users and search crawlers
Of course, we didn't invent SEO best practices in 2020. We used really great SEO checklists
from other websites to write our own SEO checklist:
- SEO Best Practices That You Should Follow in 2020
- The Only SEO Checklist You Will Need in 2020
- 31-Point SEO Checklist
We added some useful tips as well :) Thank you for reading and we wish you the great SEO results in 2020!